Thursday, January 31, 2008

Here's the recipe for my Oatmeal Bread----aka Bubble-Gum Bread!
Mix in mixer bowl with fork or whisk:
3 cups warm water
5 teaspoons yeast
1/2 cup loose brown sugar
let sit for 10 minutes
Add and mix:
2 1/2 cups cooked oatmeal
(I save the leftovers from our breakfasts)
4 cups white flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill 8-Grain cereal (optional)
let sit (sponge) for 20 minutes.
With dough hook attached, turn to low speed
and slowly add 5 cups of whole wheat flour.
Knead in mixer for 10 minutes.
Put dough into two greased bowls, flip so the greased side is up.
Cover with towel and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled.
Punch down, shaped as desired.
I always make two loaves and then some rolls
or a round loaf
or cinnamon rolls
with the remainder.
Bake @ 350* for 30 minutes.
Let cool in pan completely before slicing.
Freeze one loaf for later today when the first one is gone!

2 comments:

Becky Avella said...

Thank you! I'm going to have to put a good mixer on my wish list.

: ) Becky

Mrs. MK said...

Becky, I am sure that you can hand-knead the bread!! You don't have to have a fancy mixer----though they do save time. There is something really soothing about kneading bread---at least for me!

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4