
I was thinking last night (thinking at night when exhausted is not reccommended!!) about many things---some good, some bad. My mom has often reminded me not to take myself too seriously at 10pm---wait until morning before doing anything drastic!!
So today's post has lots of options: a serious, reflective missive (i.e "rant") on the real meaning of Easter (JESUS!!), a humorous collection of thoughts on raising BOYS who constantly surprise me in their boyishness, or a meditation on what God has been teaching me in regards to being a wife and mother.
Instead, I've decided to write about who inspires me. There are many people who inspire me for different reasons, and I want to become a conglomerate of all of my favorites!
Lately, one of our neighbors has caught my attention. He is an elderly man who continues to run his own home business, though he could probably retire. What I admire most about him is his work ethic---the man just DOES what needs done. His home is neat and tidy, his yard always well groomed, and this spring he has been working very hard to cut down a pine tree from his yard----from cutting and hauling branches to digging and chopping out all the roots. Last year right after we moved here, I even spotted him sweeping the outside of his house---under the soffets and all. Why is it that you can usually tell what age of person lives at a certain house by it's general appearance? If they are over 70, it's the best kept place on the block. Now does that make any sense?
So I want to work like Mr. Don when I grow up.
Grandma S. has inspired me to never give in to age---getting down on the floor to play with her great-grandkids, forgetting that people who are 77 aren't supposed to play on the floor! She hosts huge family get togethers, and though everyone eats on paper plates, there is no lack of love and generosity in her cooking and preparation. She enjoys her family while they are there---leaving the clean-up until later. She is the essence of practicality---from the nessecity of a hard life. Though life has given her plenty of reasons to be bitter, she is always smiling and laughing.
So I want to act like Grandma S. when I grow up.
Grammy was inspiring in many ways---but what comes to mind first is her love for beauty. This love of the lovely was reflected first in her manner and dress. She always had her white hair fixed nicely, colorful earrings and lipstick on, and usually a floral blouse. Her nails were long and pretty, her hands were soft and elegant, and best of all was her smile, gentle and loving! Then I think of her many hobbies that showed her love for beauty---sewing, quilting, cooking, china painting and gardening. Her home was lovely throughout---demonstrating what she enjoyed most. The purple bathroom and bedroom, the pale blues in the kitchen with her handpainted china displayed, a stained glass window above the kitchen table, the mason jar filled with peonies and roses from her garden, and the bag of peanuts on the back stair for feeding the squirrels that lived in her horsechesnut tree. She beamed with pride when the magnolia tree bloommed and worked tirelessly in her flowers---her favorite being the purple iris. Her hospitality was flawless---the food delicious! ( always carrot jello for Dad---he had a special place in her heart---the skinny boy with a big smile who married her granddaughter. ) and the table set with linens, silver and handpainted china. Unless we were having a picnic on her patio---then it was slightly less formal, but everything was still lovely.
I want to be like Grammy when I grow up!
No comments:
Post a Comment