Monday, February 4, 2008

Jane Austen Regrets

While I have been eagerly anticipating each week of Masterpiece Theatre since the beginning of the Complete Jane Austen---I regretted staying up past my bedtime for this epidsode. While I have always loved the portrayals of love and more importantly, character in the Austen novels and screen adaptations, I was very dissapointed in the lack of character which this episode charges to Jane herself. She is shown as a shameless flirt, giggly gossip, tipsy with wine peeping in windows, and alternately bitter and hard, and while not exactly happy with her life, not making any apologies or efforts to change. There were several implications of married life being drudgery (not being free to write) and motherhood a complete bore.

This has made me wonder----is this the real Jane Austen, or simply 21st century feminism imposing itself on her life in an effort to understand a life and world so completely different than our own?

I will be researching this in my wide amount of free time----can anyone recommend a good biography of Jane?



2 comments:

Mrs. G said...

I 100% agree with what you said about 'Jane Austen Regrets'. I felt that if that was the way she really was, then why did she write about such uncompromising heroines? It is very frustating... although, we can never know what she was really like. The only way we can measure her character is by what we do have - her books, which would consider her behavior in the movie quite inappropiate!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Oh I missed it but sounds like I didn't miss much! What a dissapointment!

Manuela

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4