Friday, September 19, 2008

Listen with Kindness, Please?


Oh, the comfort
—the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person —
having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words,
but pouring them all right out,just as they are,
chaff and grain together;
certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them,
keep what is worth keeping,
and then with the breath of kindness
blow the rest away.
~Dinah Craik

Here on my blog I try to keep my words to a minimum.
Somehow in real life I have a much harder time.
Is all my conversation filled with grace
and wisdom and love,
or am I just a clanging cymbal,
harsh and grating to all who hear?
Tears sting in my eyes, and I am sick with remorse...
was my heart heard?

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love this poem! One of my greatest friends sent me that... that's what true friends are able to do.

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4