Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Raising Boys~~Homeschooling

I sit here on the couch beside my son, unsure of whether to laugh at the irony or yell in frustration. He is in the throes of a stubborn fit over his reading lesson....the word over which the battle rages is the word SUBMIT. He cries, pulls on his cheeks (an angry habit) and is in constant figeting motion with his hands, twisting and turning, picking and pinching. I (ever so calmly, of course) remind him to fold his hands, put his eyes on the page, sound it out, and READ THE WORD. We are going on 30 minutes with this word, a word I know he can read, and I scribble blog notes and shopping lists to help me keep my own impatience in check.

This is not the plan. The plan for these first years (1 and 2 grade) with these active boys is to focus on the basics and keep it quick. I want the majority of their day to be spent outside, where boys belong. On an average day, we are done with 4-5 subjects in just a little over an hour. We multi-task (their pennmanship is copying out their Bible memory verse, and their reading is the Bible, (the gospel of Luke) devotions, and time with Mom. The math and piano lessons are after those subjects.) and try to keep distractions to a minimum. Right. I remind that distractions and learning to perservere through them is a life-skill that they will need as grown men.

Today, schooling is taking twice as long. It's character time, I hope. Inevitably, this happens on a day when I had planned on going somewhere fun after school. Even that doesn't motivate him. I pray silently for wisdom and patience. And I knit.

Knitting is my secret weapon for the early years of homeschooling. I am able to channel my own figets and frustration, rising temper and plain annoyance at the current events into the needles and string. And, usually, something useful and beautiful is to show from it.

Our plans have cancelled, foiled by a six-year-old who is learning the hard lesson of submission. I am, too.

2 comments:

Kimmie said...

;-)

reading and smiling. Wondering what you are knitting ...must be for a tiny one, yes?


I am impressed that you can get so many subjects done in such a short amount of time. We take the mornings to get it all done...after lunch is free-play time.

Some of mine work faster, some drag along, some love to read, others are rather reluctant for years and years. I continue to encourage, sometimes not so patiently I am afraid.

enjoy them, hold them, love them, they grow so quickly into people. ;-)

xoxo
Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 6 1/2 adopted

Tasha said...

Will be praying! :)

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4