Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Sin of Self-Pity









I am continually convicted of this area of sin in my life---self-pity is sin because it shows an attitude of pride.




It goes like this: "Poor me, this is soooo hard, I feel so alone" which really means "I think that this situation stinks. God, why are you not paying attention over here? Look, this is not the way it's supposed to be---aren't you going to change something???"




Of course, God is intimately and personally involved in every situation in my life---and not only is he aware of them, He CONTROLS them. So instead of fretting and whining and worrying----I'm praying for his peace to cover me in the knowledge of his amazing sovereignty.


Then I read things like this, a tiny baby with luekemia; and this, a toddler with a brain tumor; and this, a young mommy to three taken to heaven; to shake me to my core.


To be a child of God's gives me more to praise him for than if I had a thousand tongues to sing his praise----and yet how full has he filled my cup---temporal blessings beyond counting---and my sinful heart still find something to grumble about?


Please pray for these and others who suffer so!

2 comments:

Brambleberry said...

Eloquent words. Oh, that His praises could continually be on our lips.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your prayers. Lydia has just started a new round of chemo and so far doing well. God is in control and is such a God of LOVE. He cares about all of the details big and small.
I ask for you to ask your children to pray for Lydia. Children are so attached to His heart! Don't you love that about God.

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4