1.The Theology of Suffering---Joni Eareckson Tada at Dallas Theological Seminary.
It's been awhile since I listened to Joni speak....she always touches me with her testimony and perspective on suffering. It's now been 40 years of suffering for her....and what beauty God is bringing of it!2. What does Grief Look like at 17 Months? --- Molly is a dear friend to me, and her writing touches a chord that I've been hearing, but unable to find my own way of expressing. This is a must read!
3. My Mom. Days go by, and sometimes I haven't really talked about the hard stuff with anyone but God and my husband (both are longsuffering with me!!) and this week it really helped to have a heart-to-heart with my mother, who loves me and who has been here, too.
1 comment:
Disclaimer: This is a long comment making up for all the comments I haven't made!
I linked your blog quite a while back from a comment you made on 22 Words. I follow your posts through an RSS feed, though I often fall behind! I realize this post was from a month ago!
Anyway, I’m a confirmed “lurker”! I have enjoyed the “Theology of Suffering” link you shared. (I finally got around to watching it.)
I used to feel strange about being somehow encouraged or even comforted by knowing someone else experiences and knows greater suffering than I experience or know? I used to think, “Isn’t that thinking a little warped? Isn’t that a rude way to take comfort?” in there is always someone worse off than we are; someone who has experienced more suffering, grief, loss…
But truth is, just because someone has had more loss, grief etc., does not diminish our own suffering. Ours is no less real and no less gigantic at the time. And to paraphrase Joni’s statements, Suffering can be redeemed! Suffering draws us to the cross and, “…Jesus Christ, the Man of Sorrows, saves and sanctifies always, through suffering.”
Thank you for being candid about your suffering and may the words from verse 3 of the hymn, “How Firm a Foundation” be our comfort always:
"When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress."
Post a Comment