Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Harvest

As I worked in short shifts to get my peaches canned this year, there were many comforting thoughts for me to meditate upon. Who knew that the sights and smells of canning would have such a place in my heart?
I feel connected, rooted. I grew up canning with my mom and siblings....peaches were always a grand effort, done all in one long day. But even farther back, these golden delights have a tie to my great-grandmother, Grammy, who served them fresh on her homemade ice cream.
I feel postive about the future. By lining my pantry with bright and beautiful jars, I am providing nourishment and comfort for my family during the gray days of winter that are coming.
{Proverbs 31:25}
I feel hopeful. Fall is a time of abundance, the harvest. The God who governs the seasons of earth, giving harvestime after the summer of labor--- He is the God of my heart. He will bring fruit into my life again, if I do not become weary in doing good. {Galatians 6:9}
p.s. I'm now 14 weeks! Not that anyone's counting!

2 comments:

Becky Avella said...

I'm counting. : ) Praise God!

Thank you for such a beautiful post. I'm hungry for my mom's canned peaches now. ; )

whitey said...

love the amber color in the peaches!

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4