Tuesday, June 5, 2007

ReFashioned Pillows

For these pillows I used a crochet sweater

over a dark brown linen skirt from thrift that isn't fitting,

and I decided that the cut wouldn't be right for me even if

I was 10lbs. lighter!



The lighter pillow is the same crochet sweater over an old favorite embroidered button up linen shirt. I love having buttons on the back of the pillows---then I can remove the covers and wash them, without the pain of trying to put a zipper in. (yes, I am deathly afraid of zippers----they are on my "to-conquer-someday" list---but it wasn't today!)


I also reused pillow forms instead of buying new.











3 comments:

Brambleberry said...

What a great idea. They're absolutely beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Now how did you do this without the cut edges of the sweater from fraying? I have some knit blankets that I'm trying to do something with, but I'm too afraid to make the first cut, thinking everything is just going to fall apart!

Mrs. MK said...

I sewed first, cut later. It works with very simple shapes like these pillows, it might not work with everything, though. I figured that out last winter when sewing crocheted doilies into the seams of some handbags. Sew the lace, or sweater, or doiley into the seam, then cut off at 1/4 inch and then zig-zag the 1/4 inch with the rest of the fabric seam allowance to keep from fraying.

Have fun!

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4