Monday, October 4, 2010

How old?

 Dear Nathan,   you are seven?  7?   (It almost hurts to write it.)    Because when I look into your eyes,  I still see my darling baby,   my bouncy toddler,   my always moving pre-schooler.   So who is this I see now?   You are always doing nice things for your little brother before he even asks,   giving me all the hugs and kisses I need,  helping Dad,  and of course,   tossing the football with your big brother.
You are learning so much,  and growing so fast.
You have changed in the last year,
and I delight in watching what God is doing in your heart.
Before we opened gifts,  Dad asked you what you wanted
to do for your birthday.
(He was thinking a bike ride,  or a trip to the park.)
You looked at me,  gave a slow smile,
and said,
"I want Mommy to have the baby."
That brought tears,  happy tears to my eyes.
"I wish I could safely have the baby tonight, too, dear!"
I replied.  "But it's just not the right time yet."
So we went out on the porch to open presents,
your second choice of activities for the evening.
So stay 7 for awhile now,  and enjoy your legos
for a good long time.  
Please?
Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Melissa Joy said...

Happy birthday to Nathan! What a beautiful tribute to your precious boy, and the goodness God has shown you by placing him in your arms.

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4