Friday, February 27, 2009

Breathe

12 times a minute....
6,286,920 times this year.
.
.
A year ago today, at a routine
6-month pregnancy checkup,
they couldn't find a heartbeat.
My mind kept finding reasons,
excuses to not even consider
that my baby not alive.
.
.
My mom, who had the kids for the morning,
kept them for the afternoon
and my husband took me
to the hospital for an ultrasound.
I praise God that I was not alone.
I was still not worried.
.
.
Lying on the cot in the ultrasound room,
holding his hand,
I waited. waited. waited.
The tech said nothing.
.
.
"Can you tell me, please?"
I choked out, past deep sobs coming with the
realization of what her answer would be.
I remember feeling that I shouldn't cry....
maybe that she would be able to see something
if my stomach wasn't heaving with emotion.
.
.
"Your baby is gone...I'm very sorry.
Usually my job is one of the
best in the world, but days like today
I really hate it. I'm so sorry."
.
She left to call my doctor, and we came undone.
Our baby was no longer ours,
but in heaven's arms....

4 comments:

Mommy said...

Thinking of you today, sweetie and praying God's gracious peace reign in your heart and thoughts today.
Love you.

Tasha said...

I am praying for you! I hurt with you and pray that you will feel Gods presence! Love you!!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Beautifully written... my heart is heavy for your pain. May He pour out His comfort and peace upon you.

Val said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this day of rememberance.

...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:4